Set in woody grounds in Lancashire, the now-decaying Whittingham Asylum was at one stage the largest in Britain. Built in 1869 from the designs of Henry Littler, by 1939 its main building and annexes housed 3533 patients and 548 staff. In 1968 the Hospital Management Committee announced an inquiry into allegations of corruption and abuse, which led to the early retirement of both the Head Male Nurse and the Matron. Two male nurses were convicted of theft and in a separate incident another nurse was jailed formanslaughter after an elderly patient he had assaulted later died. The asylum was abandoned and left to decay in 1995.